Tips for cycling in Wet weather – Dubai – 17 Jan 2023
- By SmartRider Dubai
- 0 Comments
Tips for Cycling in wet weather – Dubai, Jan 2023
With the sky remaining grey and the forecast for a cloudy week ahead, it is important to follow some simple and basic rules whilst cycling in rain.
A small drizzle or a short downpour doesn’t affect a cyclist and his ride. On the contrary, a short drizzle is found to be refreshing for any avid cyclist. Nevertheless, it is important to follow few basic safety tips for cycling in rain & overcast conditions
- First & foremost, stay visible. Ensure that other users of the road can easily spot you from a distance. Invest in a good front light and rear light and wear good reflective clothes. I know many cyclists who always carry a spare light with them. It helps
- When you see a puddle, go around it. It is impossible to know how deep it is and what lies beneath. As the old adage goes, a puddle with an average depth of 1 feet doesn’t mean that it is only 1 feet deep.
- Beware of Slippery surfaces. Oil patches, Metal grates, wet leaves, painted lines are mostly slippery and please avoid them at all costs
- Cycle slowly and brake early. You should know that braking distance increases when the road is wet and also certain brakes don’t work very well in rains.
- Be cautious when cornering and avoid sudden turns
- Do not cycle when there are chances of lightning.
- Wear warmer clothes and if it continues to rain, wear a good rain jacket or a poncho
- Make sure you wear a brim under your helmet or a visor to the helmet to ensure that rain doesn’t hit your eyes
About the Bike: Wet weather is not easy on your bike. Try to follow the following simple tips to ensure your ride is smooth and to protect the bike from heavy wear & tear.
- Dry lube your Chain before the ride.
- Use wider tyres since they grip the ground better
- Inspect brakes after a rainy ride
- After a good ride, try to wash the grime while it is wet and finally
Take care of your shoes, helmet & gloves after a ride in the rain.
Ride Safe, Ride Smart
SmartriderDubai – Jan 2023